The StopDist App is a useful tool to quickly and easily calculate recommended Stopping Sight Distances based on the formula given in Manual for Streets 2. Recommended SSD's can be calculated for new or existing streets, and the App fully takes into account all the relevant parameters such as wet/dry conditions, vehicle type and gradient of the road. Background information on the calculations is provided, as is the relevant chapter from MfS2 itself.
The StopDist App features:
- Calculate recommended Stopping Sight Distance (SSD) according to the guidance given in Manual for Streets 2 (MfS2)
- Calculate SSD for New Streets and Existing Streets
- Speeds can be input in kph or mph
- Speeds up to 130kph / 80 kph can be selected
- Users can select road conditions - wet or dry
- Calculate SSD by vehicle type - Light Vehicle, HGV or Bus
- Adjust results by Gradient
- Includes a free PDF copy of Chapter 10 from MfS2
- Contact details for Phil Jones Associates and CIHT
Alternatively, you can use the Stopping Sight Distance Calulator on our website.